Monday, November 22, 2010

Teaching Technology

A few weeks ago, Phinious approaches me to ask if I will help him learn how to use a computer. He claims that he “doesn’t even know how to turn it on.” I’ve seen his facility navigating through the menus of a cell phone, so I tell him that I know he will pick it up quickly. And indeed he does.

A friend has told him about “Word, Excel and PowerPoint” and we agree that Word would be the most useful place to start. We spend two lessons practicing basic word processing and formatting. My work is made easier by the fact that he knows just how he wants things to look (“how do I make it go in the middle?”) and has a quick memory for processes. Creating new files, saving them to folders, no problem. I remember Nathaniel’s stories of trying to teach middle-aged Honduran women how to do similar things (in Spanish, of course) and give thanks for my quick study of a student.

During lesson three I introduce the internet. It’s refreshing to look at the internet through the eyes of someone who has never experienced it, and who is starting with the wonder of today’s World Wide Web, rather than back in the days of ugly pixilated icons and aol chat rooms. Even with our (sometimes excruciatingly) slow connection speed, we manage to do a basic google search, check out Wikipedia and google maps and send Nathaniel an email in Liberia: “I'm practicing sending an email. And it's so amaizing! By the way, how's Liberia? See you soon! phinious.”

We spend lessons four and five learning PowerPoint (at Phinious’ request). He decides to make a presentation teaching his younger brother about gender disparity. Not sure anything else needs to be said about how much I’m coming to appreciate Phinious’ motivation to learn and thoughtful approach to life.

Today, I set out to take a photo of the amazing “flame trees” at the end of our street (which I’ve been meaning to do so I can send photos to my grandpa). It’s taken me a while because there are always a bunch of locals camped out under the trees and I feel awkward being the mzungu with the camera. Today being Sunday, I know I’d better not miss my chance or the flowers will be gone. As I head through the gate, I encounter Smith, who has been very shy up until now (Phinious claims I’m his first mzungu). We take a picture of the sunset together and I convince him to come along on my excursion. Soon he’s happily turning the camera on and off, and using the zoom to take picture of trees, flowers, his apartment and our yard. More lessons to come, I’m sure, given his enthusiasm.


(Here is a picture of Smith and the flame trees.)







1 comment:

  1. I am loving this blog- thanks so much for keeping us all posted! You are a wonder and I am so glad my son choose such an incredible partner!

    ReplyDelete